Friday, December 27, 2002

The Roots have the best album liner notes I've ever read. I believe ?uestlove writes 'em, and they're both entertaining and informative. They really capture the vibe of what was going on in the recording process, which is what I feel they should do, either track-by-track(like their new one, Phrenology), or in the acknowledgements(any Peanuts and Corn release, El-P's Fantastic Damage). Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back got me reading liner notes(remember the shout-out list on that one? Huge! Then Fear of a Black Planet? Fugghedaboutit.), so now I'm hooked. Actually, album packaging as a whole is my sort of thing. I discovered my favorite designer Art Chantry through his work with Estrus Records. Gotta give props to El-P for bringing in a guy like Dan Ezra Lang to do stuff for Definitive Jux. His work is mad versatile. If work my ass off, I'll be doing that type of shit someday. Wish me luck y'all.

No comments: