Sunday, January 11, 2015
It was a day like any other, except it was my birthday, and I reached the beginning of my fourth decade on this glorious ball of dirt. I dreaded this birthday like I dreaded my 25th, my 30th, my 35th, and my 39th. However, there was a certain amount of resignation from the whole deal.
I've been shown over the past year how fleeting life can be, so I've kinda thrown my hands up. No, I'm not giving up on life, I've just given up on buggin' out over the inevitable.
Does that mean I'm happier about the passage of time? Getthefuckouttahere. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be alive, more so than I have been in the past three years. But, if you think I greeted this day with open fuckin' arms, you're dead wrong. No, I wasn't a knuckle-dragging sad sack. Just quiet, y'know? Reserved. I just let it happen to me. And it was fine.
I talked to my man Chris Pointon last Friday (we were doing our Draw Mob thing) about the turning 40 thing, and he talked about how he got through it by not looking at his life as a list of accomplishments, but a series of experiences. That worked for me. I've done some cool shit and seen some cool shit.
I hope there's more cool shit to come. God-willin', I'll be around to see it.
Friday, January 02, 2015
- Health. The usual stuff, really. Gotta get back on that horse. My wife and I started doing DDP Yoga last year, then we both got sidetracked by various ailments and depression. Time to eat right, and live right, because none of us are promised tomorrow.
- Drawing and Writing. More drawing. Every day, if possible. In fact, my Inktober endeavours have shown me that it is possible. Also, I'd like to do more custom letter stuff. I need to push my skills in that department. Maybe a calligraphy class is in order? Skillshare?
As far as writing goes...I really don't know. I use Tumblr for written expression now, way more than Blogger. I'm not sure what to make of that. Often I'm adding my two cents to something, or making sure folks know where a certain thing comes from, and who made it.
Is that truly expression, though? What am I bringing into the world? Gotta think about this a little more. Tumbleweeds tend to loom large at this here blog.
- The Business of Art. A full-time illustration career is still a bit of a dream, and I think it remains so because I haven't set goals to make it a reality. Save cash to leave day job, make promo items, contact art directors = GOALS. Now I just have to put those goals in order and write down the finer details. I may be over my fear of selling things, so that's something I can take a shot at doing.
- The Mint. Still haven't been there. This must be rectified.
- Debt. Still swimming in it. Maybe some inroads will be made in making it manageable.
- Other Cameras. My PowerShot cameras are pretty much dead. I want to use my Canon Rebel again, but I think I'm having battery issues. Guess I gotta take my shit over to Don's!
- Clothes. More pants, more socks, more underwear. Maybe some sleep gear? Definitely more t-shirts. In fact, New Japan stuff is a must.
- Tidiness. My workspace looked like this last year, and to some degree, it looks like that again. When you think about it, every portion of the house could use a bit of love. Let's spruce this joint up!