It's been way too long.
My wonderful sister-in-law was killed in a horrible car accident on the 28th of December. Also, my niece, brother-in-law, their friend and her daughter were injured. They need our prayers and positive thoughts.
Needless to say, I'm not in the greatest emotional shape, and I've been distracting myself with dishes and laundry, in addition to my usual web-based vices. I'm writing this because I think my sister-in-law wouldn't want me moping, and I've been doing plenty of that.
I know plenty of folks that don't like making resolutions, including super-sexy fashion blogger Nadia Aboulhosn. My homie Troy makes them on his birthday (I can feel that).
However symbolic the idea of a clean slate with the arrival of a new year, it works for me. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but my resolutions are never a diehard thing, where if I trip up on the 1st or 2nd of January, everything gets fucked up. They are guidelines, ideas, and personal suggestions.
I want 2014 to be a good year, all things considered. It'll definitely be different.
We miss you already, Karla.
- Health - The usual stuff: better eating habits, regular exercise, a proper outlet for my sadness, etc. Textbook resolution stuff. It can be done.
- Drawing - Another repeat resolution, with a difference. This time, when I don't draw, I won't beat myself up about it, because that never helps. Sometimes I'm sick, sometimes I'm really down, and drawing is the furthest thing out of my mind. That said, when sad, I should be drawing (see resolution 1). When I'm depressed, I eat my feelings, which just fucks everything up. The relief is temporary. Tasty, but temporary.
Anyway, drawing. More of it. Even greats like Shane Glines get the blues.
- The Mint - I've never been. This is wrong, and it must be remedied. This year.
- The Business of Art - I don't like where I'm at in my creative career. I have the tools to do a lot better, and it's time to use them.
- Debt - Up to my fucking eyeballs. I'd love to eliminate it, or greatly reduce it.
- Other Cameras - My Rebel has sat around unused for ages, as has my Fisheye 2. Need to turn that around.
- Writing - I need to figure out where I am with writing. This blog sat dormant since September, while I've been doing short form stuff at Tumblr, mainly trying to give credit where it's due (kinda NSFW).
- Hat - I need a new one. I think it'll be this one, in black 6-panel foam. I'm sick of people asking me if I'm a Reds fan.
Anyway, I hope you reach your goals and kick a whole lot of ass this year. Hug your loved ones every chance you get.