Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Random Thoughts: April 13th, 2010

Friday BDI
It's BDI time, fool. Get you some.
  • Zero 2 Illo 12 Week Challenge, Week 2. This week? A business plan. Creative person Kryptonite. However, the way Jonathan and his lovely wife Lea have broken it all down for us, it seems simple enough to do! Believe it or not, I'm looking forward to chewin' on this one. Plus, it needs to be done.
  • R.I.P. Jenny Joyce. (This bit might be somewhat NSFW) Jenny was a MILF before the term came about. She was among the most visible of early '90s mature adult performers for Filmco/Totally Tasteless Video, including Kitty Foxx and Cathy Jones. And by far, she was my favorite. AVN wrote a nice obit/profile for her.
  • American Trademarks: Got a call today from the good folks at McNally that my copy of American Trademarks has arrived. Illustration and design powerhouse Micheal Doret wrote it up nicely on his blog, so naturally, I had to cop it. Also, Aaron Draplin – a man I look up to – is also profiled in this book, which is a incentive that put my approval over the top.
  • Frank Stockton. Looking through a number of illustration annuals over the years, I can say that subconsciously, I've become a fan of Frank Stockton. However, I think my admiration for his talent truly came to fruition while flipping through Illustrators 51. There, I found page 3 of his six-page story, "A Shot At Glory" (written by Zev Borow) for ESPN magazine. In particular, I'm taken with the superior, aloof stance of the pitcher, Martha, in panel 9. Before you say anything, yes, I fully realize she's big, which I love. But that isn't it. What I love really, is how she's constructed. Her stance is real. When she says, "you suck, Borow," you can't help but believe she means it. I dug this page so much, I went to my library to find the real deal, only to find the whole thing online.

No comments: