Saturday, November 01, 2003

John Smith's "Kinship of the Down and Out"
I've been waiting about over two months to see this, and it's been worth the wait. On August 16th, I took part in the video shoot for "The Kinship of the Down and Out", the first single off of John Smith's forthcoming album Pinky's Laundromat. Here's what I wrote about it then at the Break Bread board:

"It was good fun. General Gyst, my man Kim(from the Turnbull A.C.'s) and another dude(sorry, my mind is failing)showed up with custom made street sign shirts(Furby Manitoba Ave, and something else...I forgot). Dave Dub-L represented with the low-rider bike and Urban Bakery shirt. Other folks that appeared(off the top of my head):
@Large, Kinetic, Dialog, Brace, Yy(and family!), Ness(and his ladyfriend Nikki...am I spelling that right? Thanks for the ride home!), Kutdown, Gumshoe Strut, John Smith's brother Murray, Andre from PegCity.com, little ol' me, Meera Singh, Bonafide, DJ Influence, Jon Schledewitz, John Smith(of course), Hunnicutt(ditto)...and many others I either forgot or didn't know names. There were many Selkirk Ave. residents around, too. Lots of kids. I can't wait to see this thing!

The track, by the way, is killer. And apparently, what we heard is just a demo. It's gonna sound BETTER."


And it does. It's all about the North End of Winnipeg...the rough n' tumble side of town. Thanks to hip-hop music, we know about the corners of town you don't wanna mess with. And now, thanks to this single, Big Smitty's puttin' it down for Peg City, y'heard?

Here it is. You'd better have Windows Media shit. You don't? Cop that shit, fool!

Did I mention I'm in it? Look for the fat black dude in the red Brassy shirt. Can't miss me.

No comments: