Saturday, March 27, 2010

Random Thoughts: March 27th, 2010

Me in Big Brain Comics
Me at Big Brain Comics – August 3rd, 2006. My favorite comic store.
  • Comics America. As many of you know, I regularly visit Comics America as part of my Boxing Day shopping spree. It goes back to my days as an RRC student, when I could afford to make a few comic purchases a year. I'd get a shitload of Christmas money, and drop a lot of it there during their annual sale. Now that I'm properly employed, I'm able to go several times a month. However, I haven't gone back since this past Boxing Day, and I'm not sure if I'll return.
    For years, I've been shopping there, while friends/acquaintances have asked me why I bother, as many of them consider the owner to be a dick and a shyster. Every time that happened, I'd acknowledge his eccentric behavior, but at the same time, mention that Comics America carries everyting. Fanboy shit, illustration books, indie titles...everything. And that's why I patronized CA for so long, and that's also part of CA's problem. Because they carry everything, items are often piled in a perilous fashion, and the pathways can be narrow.
    While trying to make my way through one of these paths in a careful fashion, said owner faux-encouraged me to get through successfully. I still managed to knock something over, no damage done, however.

    "Guess you might have to lose a little weight", he joked.

    I laughed in response, while thinking he was way outta line. I got my stuff, paid him, then left. I really tried not to let his off-hand comment get to me, but I have to admit that it stuck, and it has kept me from going.
    I recounted this incident with my homies Eddie Ayoub and Steve St. Louis after the Pip Skid album release show, and they were both aghast. Eddie recounted that when he bothered to shop there, he had a hard time getting around the store's items, and he's a small dude.
    I know one GP member would write off my soft boycott as the behavior of a "sensitive fatty". Maybe he's right, I dunno. However, I kinda like being respected, and at the moment, I felt I wasn't.
    So maybe I'll patronize Comic Factory instead. The dude that runs that place had the only copies of Scott Pilgrim Vol. 5 on the day of release. You don't forget a thing like that. Plus, I can always visit McNally and hit up Amazon. I can count on a measure of respect with them. And better prices.

  • Deadline. I've given myself a year from Thursday to make two major changes in my life. What will I do if I don't make it? That's not an option.

  • 2010 Layer Tennis Exhibition Matches. Coudal Partners' Layer Tennis is always fun, but I have to say that the past two exhibition matches from this year's season have been an absolute joy to witness.
    If you're unfamiliar with Layer Tennis, here's the skinny from their site:

    We’re hosting a series of live design events called Layer Tennis. This wouldn’t have happened without the support of Adobe® Creative Suite®, the weapon of choice for Layer Tennis players and creative professionals everywhere.
    We'll be playing matches using video, animation, sound, photos, type and lots more, but the basic idea is the same no matter what tools are in use. Two competitors will swap a file back and forth in real-time, adding to and embellishing the work. Each artist gets fifteen minutes to complete a “volley” and then we post it to the site live. A third participant, a writer, provides play-by-play commentary on the action, as it happens. A match lasts for ten volleys and when it's complete, Season Ticket Holders tell us what they think and we'll declare a winner, so sign up today
    And you should sign up; I fully encourage you to do so.
    Getting back to the exhibition matches I loved:

    Naz Hamid vs Sam Javanrouh: This was a photography-based battle with a music score created by Mark Greenberg of The Coctails. The result was nothing short of sublime. Both men captured their respective cities (Toronto and San Francisco) with humor and sweetness, and the score was terrifically matched. Luckily, no victor was to be declared, because I personally couldn't pick one. This was the highlight of my Friday, hands down. Check the battle from the beginning, or hit layer 10 for the whole thing.

    Matt Smithson vs Daniel Oeffinger: Epic. Comically so. That's how I'd describe this encounter. Every layer was magic. Robots, dead rabbits, digital Aztecs...this bout had everything. See for yourself.

    I haven't watched this week's match-up yet, but I will when I finish typing this bitch up.

No comments: