Wednesday, January 01, 2020

2020 Resolutions


Hi.

As always: my resolutions are guidelines and codes of conduct. The world won't end if I don't comply on the first day of the year.

Last year's themes are the same as this year.
1. Better Health
2. Increased Wealth
3. Creativity
...and a new one: 4. Balance.

Better Health: Better coping mechanisms. Making sure I go to the doctor. See a shrink again if I have to. Exercise? Sure. Don't expect any weight loss progress reports. I'm not into those.

Increased Wealth: Pay off that card. Pay off that card, then get that iMac. Stack them chips whenever you can. Celebrate small financial victories...but not by spending. Name your price and get paid what you're worth. Be about yo' business, playa.

Creativity: Keep doing. Just. Keep. Doing. Whether it's self-initiated or commissioned – attack that shit with vigour, or muster that vigour, THEN attack. Put ideas in the sketchbook and flesh out a few. Don't beat yourself up for NOT drawing, though. Like Jake Parker says: put deposits into your creative bank account. Consume good work, but don't forget to produce your own. And I can't let the comparison beast consume me, because it put me on the shelf for nearly two months.

At the beginning of 2019, I decided to start getting up at 5 to get a jump on the day and put thoughts to paper. I quickly forgot about that. However, my friend Ian McCausland posted a link to an article about the benefits of getting up at that time. I decided to give it another go. It's been kinda working. Hell, I started writing this thing around 6:30 on the 31st. It feels good.

Balance: People talk about achieving a work-life balance. Me? I need a housework-creative life balance. I will make sure the dishes are done over hitting the drawing desk. I'll attempt to chisel away at the laundry instead of jotting an idea down (and the laundry is never done. NEVER.). I don't shirk my duties, but I feel the need to put my duties ahead and above my creativity. This is me speaking it into the universe: I WILL conquer the mountain of sheets and towels in the basement, keep up with the constant onslaught of dirty laundry and load/unload the dishwasher regularly, but not at the expense of letting ideas and creative sparks die.

Glad to have gotten this off my chest. Thanks for listening. It keeps me accountable. I hope 2020 rubs you the right way. Peace.

No comments: