Wednesday, February 12, 2003

(Recorded LIVE from home via SimpleText/Feb 11th, 2003) Have you ever had some random motherfucker sit beside you at a fast food place? Just happened to me at McDick's.
Just some cat with a toque(uh...woolen hat to my American friends), and a dirty winter coat. He approached a table with his tray and caught me spyin' him out of the corner of my eye. So naturally, he came over to my table to sit(rolls eyes). I guess he was just happy to see another black face around.

Let me explain that last bit...when I was growing up in Winnipeg, there weren't a whole lot of black folks around. When my Mom came here in '68, there were even less. From my Mom, I learned about giving knowing nods to people I even felt were remotely familiar. It was like some unwritten code or something that said, "Whussup? I think I know you, but if don't, 'Hi' anyway!"
Aside from school, I could go for miles without seeing another black person. And when you think of it, there weren't many black kids in school, either. I didn't see black folks until I visited the suburbs(The Maples), or went to church(and most of those folks were from the suburbs). Sistas in church wanted nothing to do with me. Probably because I dressed funny.

But I digress...back to the dude at McDick's. I didn't protest his decision to sit across from me, but I wasn't too thrilled all the same. I tried not to let on, 'cuz I didn't know this dude from Adam. Wasn't sure what he was capable of, really. So we sat in silence: him, looking out the window and eating; me, eating my Big Xtra(Big n' Tasty to the Yanks)value meal, looking somewhat terrified. Eventually he asked me if I might be able to spare bus fare. I lied and said I spent all my cash on what was in fromt of me. He seemed cool with that. Finishing my food, I politely got up, put on my neoprene mask and other winter shit, and bid him adieu.
Sorry there's no big payoff to that, but that's what happened.

Other stuff:
-What's up with Minneapolis and school closings? I expect such a place to be a little more hearty than this when a little snow comes their way, since they're relatively close to Winnipeg(8 hours away). Ah, I still dig that city anyway...they get dope shows. Someday, I will go to a show at First Avenue/7th Street Entry. Uh, God willing of course. Whew! That often puts my ego in check.

-Me, my Mom, and my wonderful girlfriend are going to Earl's on Main to celebrate my Mom's 59th birthday! Happy Birthday, Mom!
Mmmm...seafood club, here I come(bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo, guacamole, shrimp and crab...good Lord.)!

-My fellow Canucks can look in the Letters section of this month's Exclaim! and find my praise for them. If you read it, and find it kinda slack-jawed, it was because I was tired. Really.

-Two of my favorite "fat chicks"(said with the utmost of respect and awe of their beauty)hit milestones recently. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before but Cat of Cat's House of Fun got married in January. Her man's a lucky guy!
And...sexy-ass Ann-Marie hit 500,000 posts at her site! Waytagogirl!
Her "Picture of the Week" section titilates me in ways you couldn't understand.

I think I've said too much.

-R.I.P. Curt Hennig. I still can't believe it.

No comments: