Saturday, June 18, 2011

On the Eve of My First Father's Day

Daddy and Dante By the Light
Photo by my lovely wife. She's awesome.

I'll be frank: getting to spend more time with my son this year has been the highlight of a rather shittastic 2011. The surprised and happy look he gives me when I come downstairs in the morning makes me feel like every day is The Dad Show. No drug can replicate that.
However, if someone were to create a drug capable of such a thing, they'd make a killing.

I won't make any bones about this, either: I'm a better dad than my own. Mine SUCKS. He's an ignorant, sexist, philandering Neanderthal. The best thing he did for me, other than donate DNA, was provide an apex example of what a dad shouldn't be. In some way, I should be thankful for that, but I'm hard pressed to give him credit for anything. Can you blame me?

"Stop being baby daddies, and be fathers..."
– "Why", Fashawn

8 comments:

RED! said...

Can't say I have much to celebrate tomorrow, but makes me feel a bit better knowing guys like you give a shit about being a Dad. Happy Father's Day Al!

Allan Lorde said...

Thanks, Sara! :)

Julia Green said...

That baby is CUTE!

Allan Lorde said...

Thanks, Julia! Yeah, I think we did a-ok with this lil' monster.

teena said...

I am so glad to hear that you are taking something negative and turning it into a positive! Thank you for breaking the circle, and being a great daddy!happy father's day al!!! :)

Allan Lorde said...

Awww, thanks Teena!

Steph D said...

I adore this photo! Nice job, Sarah.

And Al, I'm so glad you're loving the Dad gig. :) Dante is lucky to have you. Happy Father's Day!

Allan Lorde said...

Thanks, Steph! I really appreciate that.