Sunday, October 23, 2005

Illustration Friday: "Remote" and an unfinished "Fresh"

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

What the Duck?, 2005 • graphite, Pentel Brush Pen, and Photoshop®

Why is a duck in this thing? Why did the duck swallow the remote? Why is the duck on TV? Why is the duck wearing a Mike Doughty shirt? Hell...why is the duck wearing clothing?
I dunno. Ask the duck.

Truth is, this was the first thing that came to mind, and I decided to run with it. Here's a way bigger version to check out.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Fresh! For 1983, You Suckas!!! (unfinished), 2005 • graphite and Staedtler Pigment Liner

This (and "Remote") are among the first things I put in my Moleskine journal. I decided to get a pack of three instead of investing in an actual sketchbook, because I already have a sketchbook that I'm working in, plus I find the quality of those sketchbooks a tad intimidating.

My exposure to hip-hop culture goes back to '83 and '84, but I never rocked a track suit, wrote rhymes, made mix tapes or hit up trains with motion tags. I'm from the Prairies, man! And hip-hop wasn't universal yet (you're kidding yourself if you don't think it is now). I wish I could dig it up (I know it's around here), but Michael Holman, the man behind the TV show Graffiti Rock and the New York City Breakers wrote a book about hip-hop culture that was available in magazine format. Dude broke it all down way before many folks were even aware of all of the elements that made it up. That was my intro to the culture as a whole (I went back to reading it in '88 when rap exploded.), but just previous to that, I was facinated with b-boying (better known as "breakdancing"...don't let a hardcore b-boy or b-girl hear you say that though). Back then, I could step into a backspin and finish with a freeze. That was my entire steez, but it was fun do. My biggest audience was in the Laura Secord School that summer where I was attending a sort of summer school program (not for grades, for fun). We had the Midnight Breakers over that day (which was dope, because they were in a local Pizza Pop commercial...they were stars!), and after their performance, we were allowed to do our thing. That's when I did my thing. Hearing folks cheer was pretty cool. I've been a ham ever since then. :D
Some bothersome cats tried to diss me afterwards about my limited ability, but I didn't care. I was on Cloud 9 that day.
Ahhh, memories.

Hey...if any of you folks are comin' here via Illustration Friday, check out the previous post about screenprinting. It's very informative.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the motion of the duck, and the tv screen-y background. What a cool Hawaiian shirt! Think you could market these!

Todd DeWolf said...

I really like your style and your take on the theme. Nice to see someone from the Prairies.

Jeope said...

What the duck?! That's frickin' hilarious. I can guarantee that was not the first idea in any other person's head. Kudos to just run with it. What's the TV effect called? It's a filter, right?

Arsome.

Wilnara said...

Nice concept on -remote. You have a lot of energy in your illustration style. I look forward to seeing more - I remember some of your other illustrations posted to Illustration Friday - Nice Job!!

Carolyn said...

Love both of these drawings...!!!

Allan Lorde said...

Thanks for all the comments, folks!

"What's the TV effect called? It's a filter, right?"

Yup. It's just a halftone line screen. And I messed with the contrast and other things to make sure it looked okay.

Linda said...

What a great idea, that duck is histerical!

Unknown said...

Nice character design!! Love the looseness of the ducK!