2021 is here, y'all. And not a moment too soon.
The previous year has dampened my enthusiasm for 2021. You can't blame me, right? 2020 was fucked on a never-before-seen level, for reasons we're all completely aware of. No need to rehash.
Still, there's a glimmer of hope related to the usual new beginnings, clean slate, etc.
That means...resolutions. YAY.
As usual, my resolutions are guidelines of conduct and not hard rules, so I'm not screwed forever if I don't comply on the 1st or 2nd of January. And my resolution-posting is a form of keeping myself accountable.
The Usual Stuff:
- Better Health. Less medicating via eating. Seeing the doctor. Exercise? Sure, I guess. Like I said last year if I'm working out, y'all won't know. I'm not into seeing people's workout regimens on social media, and people will have opinions about what you're doing and how you do it - for better or for worse. Other than talking about it here, I ain't telling y'all shit. No offence.
- Increased Wealth. I'm ending my year's personal finances in the black. Nice. And thanks to my wife (Love you!), we're caught up on our taxes—time to stack chips for multiple rainy days and ramp up the creative endeavours for more dough.
Speaking of which, this is where I'd naturally place the theme of "creativity" in my resolution list, but I think it warrants its own section this time. In 2020, I came to grips with not having innate hustler ability and felt better about having a day job. That said, I'm not totally giving up on the idea of working for myself. I need to gain some momentum from a project (commissioned or self-initiated) and build upon it. I tend to finish something and have lengthy fallow periods. They're good for my mental health, but a portion of the downtime is often due to a lack of confidence. On the other hand, 2020 is the year I rekindled a love for drawing via the iPad Pro and Procreate. Here's what I've sussed out for myself via Twitter:
- I will update my portfolio.
- I will get paid what I'm worth.
- I will sit down and read that Hoodzpah Design #FABAS book cover to cover & get my shit together.
- I will make myself available to be challenged creatively AND make shit that is unfuckwithable at the same time.
Number four on the list was inspired by a bucket list project that didn't turn out so great, creatively or financially (ask me about it sometime, I won't talk about it here). While I was pushed out of my comfort zone positively and came up with something I will be proud of, I still came up short. I want to create images that won't have their quality questioned a majority of the time. That'll only come from hard work.
Okay, that's it. I hope 2021 will rub you the right way.